Tuesday, September 15, 2009

i speek crectly

I know. I'm over due for a blog, but let's be honest, it was summer time.

So to catch up or just act like I never took a pause in the blogging....

I'm a little frustrated. You see, my students are on day 2 of their first speech of the semester and many of them either did not write enough or did not do it all. What makes it worse, is they don't care! One student who had to stay for tutorials yesterday so I could make him write his speech (it's amazing what you can do with a simple phone call to mommy... "What?! He hasn't written it? Well I'll tell the coach he wont be at practice until he completes it!") anyway, he said "Man Miss, I was planning on getting to sleep through this class all year."

I think not. English is good, math is great, science wonderful, and history is up there too, but seriously people EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW HOW TO EFFECTIVELY COMMUNICATE! Thus the importance of COMMUNICATION APPLICATIONS! However, Texas disagrees. They vote on Thursday to see if it will be a required graduation credit. 10 years from now they'll be at some restaurant placing an order and can't understand a single thing the person taking their order says. Wonder what a com app class could have done for them....

I'd like to see the State Board of Education come and challenge my students in the "Ummm... Olympics." My moneys on the kids.

1 comment:

Beate said...

Us northerners have survived without a class like that :) But i do not want you to loose your job! or... i do.. so that you will have to move up here to me!! You can be the first ever speech teacher we have had!! :)